 General / 48706
Sorting: Found my Rhythm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:51:18 GMT

Having a 4 Year old and an 18 Month old and a subpar building area for 4 years I
have built up an immense amount of sorting that needs to be done.  Now that we
have moved and I have a proper LEGO room I have been trying to get into sorting
but until about a week ago I just couldn't get into it.  I finally found a
rhythm that works for me.

First my situation:

I have about 4 20 Gallon Bins of unsorted parts plus about 4 LEGO Buckets and 2
LEGO Tubs.  Quite the daunting task.  Since I have a couple of little ones I
don't usually get to do much until they are in bed which gives me at most 2
hours in the evening to sort.  I generally build Town and Train so that effects
my priorities.  I take one of three approaches depending on how I feel.

Method 1 is a rough sort.

For this I take one of the unsorted bins and set up 6 large bins and 5 small
cups/containers.

The 6 Large bins contain the following:

1.  Basic Brick
2.  Plates
3.  Slopes
4.  Technic
5.  Space (Because I don't use it often this is to get it out of the way).
6.  Everything else

The 5 small cups change each day.  Each day I decide on 5 types of parts that
don't fall into the previous 5 catagories.  For example I will pick Windows,
doors, antennas, clips, and Plant life on one day then the next day I will pick
1x1 round plate, 1x1 round brick, 2x2 round brick, Tiles, and Hinges.

This goes pretty quick and while it doesn't get anything into my fine sort bins
it helps things move forward.

Method 2 is Mid Sort.

For this I take one of the large bins and do a further sort.  For example I will
take plates and split them into 1xX, 2xX, and Large Plate lots.  At the current
time I have one LEGO tub that is nearly full of plates so a mid sort is needed
soon and to fine sort that many plates at once takes to long.

At times I have to do 2 levels of Mid sort.  For example I have so many 1x and
2x White, Black, Red, Yellow and Blue plates that I don't mix them with other
colors but all other colors mix together.  So I will have bins of 1x2 plates,
1x3 plates, etc.  Then I still have to do a fine sort by color.

Method 3 is Fine Sort.

This is pretty simple, most parts get sorted by type with a few parts being
sorted by type and color.

For any of these sorts I don't try and do more than 10 sort locations at a time
because more just seems to slow me down and be tedious.  While it may take a few
sessions before any one part gets into its final location I feel like things
progress quickly this way.  I have already gone through nearly 1 20 Gallon Tub
and 2 LEGO buckets.  SO I feel like progress is being made.

Of course now I am in need of some more sort locations as I am filling up my
current bins pretty quickly.  It does feel good to make progress though and you
find you have a lot more of some parts than you ever knew you had.

Eric Kingsley