 General / 4851
Re: How old are these Legos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:22:37 GMT

Lee Jorgensen <ljorgensen@uswest.net> wrote in message
news:376F9B09.67922A13@uswest.net...
Those are the gears that she has.
Though the 'Blue' large gears shown for 104, is red in her
collection.

I think that the large blue and red gears might actually
be different from one and other.

You can see this if you look at:

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_a4.jpg

Looking at this (and other pages on this site), I think
the gear sizes were:

14 tooth (14 = 7x2, white)
21 tooth (21 = 7x3, yellow)
35 tooth (35 = 7x5, blue)
42 tooth (42 = 7x6, red)

Of course it is possible that they made different colors
of the same size too.

In contrast, the non-samonsite gear sizes were:

9 tooth ( 9 = 3x3, red)
15 tooth (15 = 3x5, blue)
21 tooth (21 = 3x7, yellow)

I don't have any of the samsonite gears, but the
non-samsonite ones are nice.  They mount on cross axles,
and combined with the links that were available back then,
can make great treaded vehicles.  I think the samsonite
gears are meant to be mounted to the old style 'Basic'
Lego wheels (though they would probably work equally well
with the new style).  They are basically round Lego plates
with teeth, it would appear.  The cool thing about that is
that you could probably use them to make interesting
buildings and such.

P.S. Gary is indeed a good one to go to for Lego history.
The man is a walking Lego history book :)