 General / 4824
Re: How old are these Legos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:17:45 GMT

Those are the gears that she has.
Though the 'Blue' large gears shown for 104, is red in her collection.

This might help to date these better.

Thanks for the info.

-Lee.

Bill Katz wrote:

Scott Edward Sanburn (ssanburn@aeieng.com) wrote:
: Sounds like a question for Gary Istok....

I see he's moved to the front of the line for Samsonite era reference :)

In Gary's absence, I guess I'll answer.

: Scott Sanburn

: Lee Jorgensen wrote:
: >
: > Yesterday I found out that my Grandma has a bunch of older Legos.
: > The Bucket that they are all in is 1615, but couldn't find it in Lugnet
: > database.

I don't know about 1615, but...

: >
: > The really interesting parts are some windows and doors that don't
: > have a complete bottom, they have 'prongs' that hold the part on ..

Teh windows are "classic" lego windows.  They go back to the beginning
(1961 in the US), and many were inproduction inot hte 70s.  The large
gears are uniquely Samsonite parts.  THere were similar (but smaller)
large gears in the pre-technic era in Europe.  The gears came out in
about '65 - '67, and reamined until Samsonite shut down in '72 - '73.
Originally they were in the set 001 - gears, as well as 004 master builder.

Toward the very end, Samsonite reduced the Lego offereings in the US to
a half dozen or so basic boxes.  The all had gears in them.  This appeared
to be a "reduce the inventory" sort of move.  See:

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/70s_sam1.jpg

for a picture of these sets.

        -Bill

--
Lee Jorgensen, Programmer/Analyst - Bankoe Systems, Inc.
mailto:jorgensen@bankoe.moc  <-- reverse moc