 General / 48270
Re: Lego in a Smoking Environment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:05:35 GMT

Whether something is smoky or not is a matter of subjective opinion.  I've
ordered some rather stinky lots from ebay in the past, but it's not that hard to
get it clean.  My secret?  ALL Free/Clear Allgeren Fighter laundry detergent.

It works quite well.  Put the LEGO bricks into a big tub of warm water - make
sure to separate each and every brick from one another - and pour in some
detergent (about the same amount you would use for a load of laundry).  Swish it
around a whole bunch, and let it soak for a while, then rinse it (I use a
colander and salad spinner) and lay it out to dry on a towel on the floor (with
a fan pointing at it if it's cold).  After this process is done, my wife (who
has severe allergies and asthma) and I can detect no odor or allergens.

I figure, laundry detergent is formulated to deal with synthetic fabrics (among
other things) which are basically plastic.  So it ought to work on ABS too.  And
it does, in my experience.

Only thing is, say goodbye to stickers (good riddance) and be careful not to put
any electric parts in the tub.  Those I take care of by hand using a Clorox Wipe
and hope that's good enough.