 General / 48263
48262  |  48264
Subject:
Lego in a Smoking Environment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:39:10 GMT

I've read a lot about Lego from "smoke free" environments.  Have a lot of AFOL's
had problems with "smoky" Lego?

In the cd/book I have come to the conclusion that there are 2 types of "smoke"
environments (just the legal ones ;-) ).

#1 When I was growing up at my parents house in the 60's and 70's, there was a
retired couple living next door that both smoked.  In fact whenever I entered
their house, the smell of smoke "reeked to high heaven".  They always kept their
windows closed in winter and summer (air conditioning).  Also they often did not
empty their ashtrays.

#2 My best friend and his wife both smoke.  But they always keep the house aired
out, and the ashtrays emptied.  When entering their house, it was not apparent
that they smoked, until they actually lighted a cigarette.

Lego from a #1 environment surely must smell badly, just like everything else in
the house.

Lego from a #2 environment probably does not smell at all.

The #2 couple have 2 children with a lot of Lego (thanks to "uncle" Gary).  And
I have yet to even get a whiff of smoke smell, even though they often leave the
Lego lying out about the house (they always look at me funny whenever I start
sniffing about).

In my new cd/book, I discuss this phenomenon, as well as how to rid smoky Lego
of its' smell.  (Hint: the "A" in ABS plastic is the culprit that picks up the
smell in a smoky household.)

But anyway, Lego does not have to be from a smoke free household in order to NOT
smell of smoke.

Just some more tidbits...

Gary Istok

P.S. Cellulose Acetate, the material Lego was made from (from 1957-mid 60's) was
not reactive to smoke.  It was also not prone to fade or yellow due to
Ultraviolet light (that's why old white Lego bricks and windows keep their
whiteness).