 General / 48268
Re: Lego in a Smoking Environment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:15:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
I've read a lot about Lego from "smoke free" environments.  Have a lot of AFOL's
had problems with "smoky" Lego?

I have. I seem to be very sensitive to cigarette smoke, it apparently irritates
me into sneezing and coughing at a very light exposure level, and even a #3 (per
Joachim's definition extension) household would produce LEGO that I would
probably notice smokiness from.

I'm not convinced there is an easy and safe way to remove smoke smell without
corresponding other sorts of damage (dryout of "rubber" parts due to loss of
oil, water damage to stickers, and etc), but would love to hear about it.

Hi Lar,
Long time no hear.... :-)  I'll send you a private EMAIL...

But back to the smoke topic....

OK, the process for removing smoke from ABS was told to my by my
brother-in-laws's brother-in-law, who is a chemical engineer.  Since I probably
shouldn't just go by his word, maybe someone can test out the "smoke removal"
process that I'm gonna mention in my upcoming cd/book.

So here is the untested secret.....  the Acetylnitrile (sp?) in ABS plastic is
the component that absorbs smoke.  According to the chemist, if you put smoky
Lego into a vacuum chamber for 24 hours, it should be free of the smoke smell.

The problem is that one would probably need a laboratory in order to get such a
vacuum chamber to test it out.  Anybody have smokey Lego and a vacuum chamber
out there????

Gary Istok