 General / 4827
Re: Best lego places in UK, Italy, Austria, Germany?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:22:22 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

I am going to be travelling in the UK and Europe during July and on my
travels I will be looking for Lego. If anyone has suggestions about the
best places to look for Lego (cheap/soccer sets/trains/older sets/
service packs) I'd appreciate them very much. I will be in Glasgow,
Birmingham, Nottingham, London, Rome, Naples, possibly Venice or
Florence, Innsbruck, Munich, Jena (in the former E. Germany, was lego
sold there before the reunification with W. Germany?) and Hamburg.

Kevin

Kevin,  if you travel from Munich to Jena, you will be traveling thru
Franconia (Franken), the northern half of Bavaria.  That is where I went on
a buying spree back in the 1979-93 time frame and plundered the small toy
stores there.  If you're travelling by car, I would recommend 2 stops, one
in Mittwitz (where 10 years ago I purchased 2 Thatcher Perkins train model
sets #396), and another stop in Roedental, where I picked up the wooden box
sets (#712, #821).  These 2 towns are both on the former East/West German
border near medieval Coburg.  Both are small toy stores on the towns main
street with the LEGO sign on the building.  If you do visit Roedental, that
is also where the famous "HUMMEL" figurines are made, and a gift shop visit
is a must.  Coburg is the ancestral home of England's royals -  House of
Windsor (real name is the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha).  Queen Victoria's
husband - Prince Albert was born here, as was Victoria's mother.  The Queen
herself made 6 visits to Coburg in her lifetime.  It is a wonderful
medieval city with one of the most magnificent castles (Veste Coburg) in
all of Europe.

Happy Hunting,
Gary Istok