 General / 48260
Re: Gary Istok's Lego Book Feedback...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:25:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Strand wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
OK, I won't be posting this in any other newsgroups.....

Here is how the Insurance Price List portion of my book will look like (pending
suggestions by AFOLs):

The examples I will use are #396 Thatcher Perkins Model Set (1976-77), the
Yellow Castle set #375/#6075 (1978-82), and 2x10 bricks spare parts pack #216
(1957-65) in the 5 conditions used by the antique toy collectibles market.

Comments?
Gary Istok

Gary,

Some other descriptions that mean more to me:
  Mint In Sealed Box  (MISB)
  Mint In Box (MIB)
  Complete with instructions
  Complete without instructions
  Complete with stickers unused
  Complete with stickers applied
  Complete without stickers

Also, which country are you determining your values from?   They seem to vary greatly.

Eric

Thanks Eric,

There are also:
Complete with instructions, no box, no stickers
Complete with out instructions, no box, no stickers
Complete with stickers unused, no box, no instructions
Complete with stickers applied, no box, no instructions....
and a few more possibilities.....

However, this starts to get unmanagable.  And for an "Insurance List", is all
this really necessary? (AFOL's have been adament about not having a "Price
List".)  With all the possible combinations multiplied by the different
conditions, the list would get quite long for each set.

I may make some exceptions for missing components, such as 10% off the value for
missing instructions or missing stickers.  And say 30% off the value for missing
box, etc.  In fact any Lego "Basic" set or "parts pack" that has no box is
really nothing more than "Lego bricks" (although there are some parts pack
contents that would be so unique as to still have premium value).  I would think
that only model sets without a box still hold collectible value beyond mere Lego
elements.

Perhaps the MISB grade will be added.  Do other folks agree that both MIB and
MISB are necessary?

And as for the value base, that would be the USA/Canada/Western Europe.  I don't
plan on having any entries more recent than 1994.  So I don't see the value as
varying that much for old sets from country to country.  The major source of
selling Lego sets is EBAY, with a lot of days having over 25,000 sets and items
available.  Yes if you sold a Yellow Castle locally in many countries, the value
received would vary from country to country, just like it varies from day to day
on EBAY.  But a Yellow Castle (from wherever) could fetch several hundred
dollars if put on EBAY, regardless of the source.

Again, the central focus of the cd/book is USA/Canada/Britain/continental
western Europe.  And I don't see the prices varying that much for those markets.
If anything, the 20% increase in value of the Euro over the other currencies
over the last 3 years has leveled out the prices even more.

Thanks,
Gary Istok