 General / 48174
Re: Event kit update and request for data
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.events, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:56:06 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

(I’ve reversed the order of feedback and events/questions, and in order to make it flow better I stripped the quotes)

Collect Data
If you, your club, or your organization received a kit, I’d like to request info:
  • Name of Club
Michigan LEGO® Users Group (MichLUG) / Michigan LEGO® Train Club (MichLTC)
  • Number of kits received (some clubs/groups got more than one because of the amount of events they were running)
1 initially, 2 at the time of CKM show in March, 1 recently
  • General location of both club and event(s) where the kit(s) was used
Greater Michigan area with two nodes of activity. One is in the Metro Detroit area, and one is on the west side (Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, St. Joe)
  • Links to any pictures you have of the kit
See the MichLUG site. More specifically, see the past events part or the following shows:
  • COSI Toledo COLTC’s kit, not ours, but we gave away some stickers
  • Novi Toy and Hobby Expo show (used our older K8 for the play area, used stickers and buttons from the kit)
  • Novi GATS (used our older K8 for the play area, used stickers and buttons from the kit)
  • Build Workshop at CKM This was one of our better uses. We used the parts in our workshop, after the structured build we scooped out parts and challenged the participants to a quick build to stretch their creativity muscles. Each kid left with a button and a sticker as well as a LEGO catalog
  • Model Contest and Display at CKM Part two of this event... we had several displays (town/train, space, castle and Sea Monkeys), the paper robot, and many of the same kids that were at the workshop were prize winning contest entrants. We used some of the shirts for prizes and the play area was from the event kit parts supply.
  • Railroad Days in Ypsilanti Stickers and buttons for giveaways. This did not have a play area.
  • Motor City Comic Con Stickers and buttons for giveaways. This did not have a play area.

  • Your best guess on how many people actively participated with the elements of the kit (took stickers, or covers or buttons)
We have used about 1/2 of our stickers, buttons and book covers. We typically have a large number of kids playing with the play area, it’s 2 deep in kids the whole time.
  • Your best guess on overall LEGO brand “exposure” (amount of people who came in contact with the kit)
We have shows with thousands of people in attendance. We have used these at about 6-8 different shows now so probably somewhere in the close order of 5000 people have had exposore to the branding thanks to the kit.

Note: The event kit was also used at the Childrens Hospital (standups and stickers only) during the ornament build. For legal reasons (Hospital was being difficult about working with us on permissions) we have no photos of that.

Gather feedback
I’ve collected a few notes over the months about what seemed to work well and what didn’t, but I’d like to hear from you. It seems that the general concept of the event kits was a good one, and I’d like to make sure the next time we do these (see next item), they are as good as possible.

Here is some feedback from the club membership. It’s not too structured.

General comments
  • The standups draw crowds. Unfortunately, they are hard to put together unless you understand how. (took 15 min to put together the first time) They also are a bit fragile. Instruction sheet would help. Mixed on whether they were a big draw or not. depends on the situaiton
  • Book covers not very useful
  • Buttons went fast
  • Still have some t-shirts (road show) and construction helmets (“liberated” from road show) which we all really like giving out to kids
  • Need more wheels in the parts mix (first set) because KIDS LOVED WHEELS
  • we understand not to mix event kits with the K8. We’ve been careful to keep them segregated
  • We know some other clubs built things with the kits. As far as building our stuff from the event kit material, with just one kit we felt that it should be for the kids, not us. With more kits we can consider building some stuff for display or for the layout.(for display on a separate table perhaps) or show how things go together (SNOT examples, which we do, or ldraw laminated instructions)
  • Scott: The Michiana LUG kit was sets not loose parts... 11 wild creatures... a few of each other one. It may be a good thing to build a few of the designed sets. (wild creatures)
Things we’d like to see
  • Idea books or instructions... maybe the pad that is at the Lego outlet that shows other models you can build from a given set., That’s a one pager that you can hand out lots of copies of.
  • More wheels
  • other tchotchies (like the helmets!)
  • more and smaller stickers (we got too many to use for prizes but not ehough to be handed out to everyone)
  • square stickers for the treasure hunt, like the road show had. If there are some of those around we think we could use them. May not justify a special run though.
  • keychains
  • window decals (glueless) mylar
  • bumper stickers (I love LEGO!.., or custom to the club)
  • small t shirts that say “got LEGO?”
  • a book on how to effectively use the kit and how to be a good club (this is actually in development already)
  • a “refresh” kit with more stickers and buttons (the expendables/consumables)
  • a 6x12 trailer for each club that asks for one (we don’t ask for much!)
  • mini purple buses or other minis to give out as prizes
Other comments

We really liked the event kit... But we did not know how much of what we were going to get so we may have held back too much (wanted to make it last...) if we know what’s coming next year we’d run through stuff faster so as not to have any left

Also, can LEGO sell keychains that look like us? If Jake can get his own fig, why can’t Amy, Chris or Rick have one?

   This info will help me pull together a solid business case for why we should do this concept again. (Or more specifically, an even better version of this concept) Help me showcase how cool and effective this concept was.

Hope this helps. I am sorry it took so long to post. I hope that it spurs some other clubs into posting too, I can’t imagine there were only 4 clubs that got value out of these great kits.

   Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank YOU, Jake, for making this available. It rocks.