 General / 47850
Re: AFOL records is up and running!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 16:03:12 GMT

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> writes:

In lugnet.general, Chris Gray wrote:
Well, that's certainly a taller structure. But I would think that
skyscrapers were a common enough thing that someone would have one of
those that's taller.

Taller than 12 feet?  Possible, but doubtful.  How many people would have enough
ceiling height to display it fully assembled?  Eric had to take it out into his
carport just to take photos of the complete structure, and it appears to have
just barely cleared the ceiling.  If I was building something like that for
personal enjoyment, I'd want to be able to actually set it up in my home so I
could look at it whenever I felt like it, or show it off to visiting
friends/family.  I'd be surprised if there are any structures taller than 12'
that have not been built through the LEGO Master Builder program.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. What I was suggesting was that someone should
be able to build a fully Lego skyscraper taller than my under 8 foot one.

I think it is also possible that there are people who could build a Lego
skyscraper taller than 12 feet. Some houses (more expensive ones!) have
"loft" areas that are quite tall. Some also have open areas which are
two floors high. If someone with a house like that is an AFOL, then they
should have space to build things nearly 16 feet high.

Actually, about 3 blocks from where I live, there is a new building that
opened last year. It is all condominium apartments, and the building is
a bit unusual, so I went and looked when they had an "open house". The
apartments in it have 2-story living rooms, and when I saw that I thought
about building a really tall Lego building. But, I didn't like the price
and other features of those apartments, so I'm still in my old one.

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/