 General / 47086
Re: Quality Control Issues?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:11:16 GMT

"John Kyle" <worldsingerNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
news:HwLJqH.CKI@lugnet.com...
I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with items in Lego • sets?

The reason I ask is because I recently got 2 sets from clearance sales, • and they
both had oddities that I've never seen before. The first one was the • Pepper
mini-fig from one of the Lego Island Extreme sets - his face was • completely
missing the black on it! Only the red hair and the white parts of his eyes • were
on the head. I would have dismissed that as a freak occurrence, but then I • got
the 3538 Snowboard Chase set on clearance. One of the 2x4 33 degree white • slopes
wasn't even completely formed. It looks like the machine ran out of • plastic or
something while that slope brick was being formed, so it's got a chunk • 'bitten'
out of it.

I always thought that one of the things Lego did best was their quality • control
system to prevent things like that from getting into boxes. Maybe it's • slipping
a bit or something? Anyone ever find anything like this lately?
  John

I have only ever had 2 issues with quality that I can think of;

The first one was the wrong torso in a StarWars set. I can't remember which
set, but instead of coming with the correct StarWars torso, it came with a
boat captain one. Now where that came from I don't know, as I think this
torso has been discontinued for quite a while.

The other thing I have noticed is with the 2004 Spiderman sets - quite a lot
of the blue parts (such as the tri-cycle and the technic lift arms in Doc
Ock's machine) are a definate lighter shade of blue. When placed next to
other blue pieces, there is a definate shift in the color. I think this
problem was also reported in some copies of the Technic R2D2 model.

The first issue I put down to being an accident at the factory - despite the
best efforts of LEGO, these are occasionally going to slip through. The
second issue of color shift is either a genuine problem, or maybe isn't
accidental at all - maybe they were testing a cheaper batch of ABS or
something?

One thing I see is that a lot of people say that there are more mistakes
happening than when they were kids. This may be the case, but I personally
put it down to sheer weight of numbers - when I was a kid, I had a lot of
LEGO, but this was still new sets for birthdays, Christmas and when I had
saved my pocket money. These days though, I regularly buy LEGO sets in the
10's or even 100's and as such am bound to see more problems. In all the
1000's of sets I have purchased in the last few years, I personally have
only had 2 problems, but I do realise that others have had a lot more.