 General / 46855
Re: Hoping for advice... Best way to get parts? Other "Builder AFOLs?"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.inst
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 04:42:51 GMT

Hiya Paul

If I buy Jake's book I've got the instructions, but how in the world can I
get all the right parts without going crazy with tens of different stores,
spending extreme cash, and/or buying a bunch of extra parts I don't
need for this model but are required to meet Bricklink store minimums
and justify shipping costs?

Unfortunately you're right, getting all the parts for a specific model off
Bricklink is a lot of work and you end up with multiple orders and multiple
shipping costs. The minimum order thing is getting worse as sellers raise
their minimum order amounts (not that they don't have reason: picking 15
different lots to make up a $4 order takes enough time that the pay rate is
extremely low!). OTOH Bricklink beats the alternatives into a cocked hat!
Remember Auczilla?

Other replies have said "substitute parts" and I think this is the best
answer. I believe I have one of those yellow windows you mentioned - but I
have several each of white and red. If I was going to build that loco I'd
change the color scheme to use them, or use transparent 1x1 bricks (not
common either, but not as rare) or even transparent 1x1 round bricks which
are very common.

I've always hoped
I could use other people's instructions plus parts resources like Bricklink • to
create the sets that TLC isn't going to make themselves.  Is this simply
unrealistic?

You have to pick your instructions. As far as possible, mine use only
readily available parts because I start out releasing them as kits, and I
have to be able to get the parts myself! Mind you, since I released my first
kits in 1999, some parts which were common then have become much harder to
find (like the 1x4x5 glass door with red frame used in the Victorian House,
and the red 1x4x5 windows used in the red and white facade). Occasionally I
use a less common part like the yellow 1x12 brick in the Schoolhouse - but
in that case you could build up a 1x12 brick out of 1xn plates.

I just love the actual building: Following the instructions and watching
(someone else's) great designs come to life.  Am I odd?  Is this rare
in this community?

Does it matter? If that's what you enjoy, then that's what you should do.
Doesn't matter whether it's what other people do :-)

point?  Are those instructions just in the book so that it will give people
good ideas on how to use the parts already in their collection to build
something similar?

I think that's one idea behind instructions, but with mine, yes I expect
people to actually build the model. Not everyone does.

Kevin
Instruction CDs: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/prodcat.htm#cds
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/COntent/Townplan/townplan.htm