 General / 46834
Re: Hoping for advice... Best way to get parts? Other "Builder AFOLs?"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.inst
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:44:39 GMT

Paul S. D'Urbano wrote:

A Builder AFOL:

For me my fun with this hobby is not collecting and not desiging, it's
building. I love starting a Sunday afternoon with a pile of parts and an
instruction book and finishing with something that looks cool (e.g.
trains, star wars) and/or
does something cool (e.g. technic, mindstorms).  I'm not into looking at
my completed models collecting dust on a shelf (I take them apart so I can
build
them again).  I'm not one to design my own brilliant things from scratch.
I just love the actual building: Following the instructions and watching
(someone
else's) great designs come to life.  Am I odd?  Is this rare in this
community?

This is a problem that will always come up.
I've made instructions for some of my models and posted them on my site.
Having been playing with LEGO since age 2 I've by now collected quite a bit
of parts, some old and rare. When making MOC's I use whatever I have, which
might mean it's hard to get by for others.

I don't think it would be right to limit designers to use only parts that
are available right now. It would put a too large restriction on
creativity. I think that you should look at finding a suitable alternative
to the parts described to make whatever model is described.

In your case, you might try replacing the windows with some transparant 1*1
plates, or with some 1*2 transparant bricks stacked?

When looking at my models and the CAD instructions I made, the Santa Fe,
bedmill and even the GLS car I did should be doable with sets recently
offered (not counting the grey issue and one printed part for the mill),
but this is mostly coincidence.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit