 General / 46844
Re: Hoping for advice... Best way to get parts? Other "Builder AFOLs?"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.inst
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 07:51:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul S. D'Urbano wrote:
I'd love to hear people's advice on getting the specific parts you need to build
a specific MOC.  I'd also like to know if anyone else is a "Builder AFOL" like
me?

Getting Parts:

~~ snip ~~

I think it is fair to say that everyone that builds with Lego, regardless of
age, ends up wanting and needing more and different parts than they have
available.  As you have found out, this is especially true when you set out to
build something specific and want it to turn out like the image in your head.

Even builders with huge collections of Lego still hit the wall and need more of
specific parts to complete what they are creating.  Many times it is the lack of
key pieces in exactly the correct colors that can halt a project or it is simply
needing 2 more of some part you only have six of, for exmaple.

I have been buying Lego for 25 years and have amassed a collection that is ever
growing and evolving.  My collection is not THE largest, but it is quite
extensive.  I hit my personal critical mass about three years ago, thinking that
if I never got any more parts I would be set forever.  But with new parts and
new colors being issued, I find that I have passed critical mass and have simply
become obsessive about obtaining more stuff so that I can use it in future.  So,
my mass of Lego increases all the time; for good or bad.

When I got online, I could not stop buying.  I bought most of the sets I had
ever wanted from years past and then ventured into buying up more key parts such
as architechtural pieces like arches and windows, and Train parts of all kinds.
I still focus on accumlating specialty parts; the bricks, plates, and common
slopes just happen.

Auction websites are still a great way to buy Lego if you don't mind playing the
auction game.  BrickLink is awesome.  Both can be addicting and a major drain on
the wallet.  And buying new Lego kits purely for the parts they contain is
always a good approach.

Your frustration with BrickLink is understandable to some degree.  But it
remains THE best source for specific parts.  Personally, I love buying on
BrickLink -- I feel the costs for parts are justified for many reasons, but I
won't go into that now.  I know that when I am in building and creating mode, I
find it extremely handy to simply go to BrickLink and select the parts I need at
that moment (I generally keep a list and then go to the computer at the end of
the day to do my shopping).  And I also like to inform sellers that I would like
to sit on the order for a little while (a week works well for me) so that I can
add more stuff to the order as I discover my needs while building.
If the parts on order halt a project, I set it aside and work on something else
in the meantime.

There is not one good answer to your questions.  You have to do what you are
comfortable with and, often, what your finances dictate.  Over time as you are
able to add more to your Lego collection, there should be fewer times when you
do not have the right parts you need at the time, but the need will likely never
go away.  Being truly creative with Lego is not always about simply having all
the right parts.  Having all the right parts may not actually be very creative
at all.

HTH

__Kevin Salm__
LUCNY