 General / 46827
46826  |  46828
Subject:
Hoping for advice... Best way to get parts? Other "Builder AFOLs?"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.inst
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 17:02:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I'd love to hear people's advice on getting the specific parts you need to build
a specific MOC.  I'd also like to know if anyone else is a "Builder AFOL" like
me?

Getting Parts:

I know Bricklink is the short answer but I feel like I just don't get it.  I
think I need the long answer and was hoping someone can share some words of
wisdom on the approach they use.  Here's an example.  I would love to be able to
build this:

Jake's Loco: http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/trains/images/desktop-loco.jpg
Paul Janssen built two: http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=22712

I'd just like to build one.  Just a first glance: notice the four Window 1 x 1 x
2 in Yellow.  Peeron says that part hasn't existed in a set for 30 years...

If I buy Jake's book I've got the instructions, but how in the world can I get
all the right parts without going crazy with tens of different stores, spending
extreme cash, and/or buying a bunch of extra parts I don't need for this model
but are required to meet Bricklink store minimums and justify shipping costs?

Do I just have it wrong?  Am I crazy to think that I can build something
specific?  Is that not how typical AFOLs think?  I would love it if TLC sold a
set just like Jake's loco.  I'm not looking to design my own.  I've always hoped
I could use other people's instructions plus parts resources like Bricklink to
create the sets that TLC isn't going to make themselves.  Is this simply
unrealistic?

A Builder AFOL:

For me my fun with this hobby is not collecting and not desiging, it's building.
I love starting a Sunday afternoon with a pile of parts and an instruction book
and finishing with something that looks cool (e.g. trains, star wars) and/or
does something cool (e.g. technic, mindstorms).  I'm not into looking at my
completed models collecting dust on a shelf (I take them apart so I can build
them again).  I'm not one to design my own brilliant things from scratch.  I
just love the actual building: Following the instructions and watching (someone
else's) great designs come to life.  Am I odd?  Is this rare in this community?

When someone writes a book with instructions for MOCs in there are they really
thinking that many people who buy the book will build them?  Or am I missing the
point?  Are those instructions just in the book so that it will give people good
ideas on how to use the parts already in their collection to build something
similar?  Is it really not meant for someone like me who wants to build that
specific model?  How many people are really going to have four Window 1 x 1 x 2
in Yellow?  Do you know what I mean?

These topics are things that come up with me from time to time as I long for
more advanced models to build and feel limited to TLC's selection.  I'd love to
know how other people here think about these things.  Thanks in advance for any
thoughts you have to share.

Thanks,
Paul D'Urbano