 General / 45041
Re: Over 70 LEGO products copied
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:14:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Scott Lyttle wrote:
In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.general, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Erik Bush wrote:
Hey All,

Did anyone hear about all the "copies" of lego products?  TLC posted this on the
14th http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=pressdetail

<snip>

Hey, I'll bet we know what colors the clone brands want to make next!

Heehee.  On the contrary, LEGO is moving closer to clone colors (cloning the
clone, in essence, as LEGO did previously with the 8x8 plate).  A certain
LUGNETter-at-large put together an interesting examination of the color issue,
which I cite here:

Just for my own reference I created the following two images:

http://www.ozbricks.com/blaktron/misc/brickgreys.jpg
http://www.ozbricks.com/blaktron/misc/tlcgreys.jpg

While images shown on the internet cannot be guaranteed to have the
exact same color values on different equipment and so forth (in other
words, I might very well see these colors slightly differently on my
screen than you see them on your screen), I wanted to document the
relationships between the various greys available from the various brick
makers. The first image should be fairly self-explanatory as it contains
a description of each color and it's source. The second image is just me
complaining and being sad. But seriously -- look at the colors!!! These
are not properly replacement greys TLC has offered up, when you see them
all together these are very obviously 4 very different colors. Do note
the utility of the original TLC greys as probable military greys, or
khaki colors. Do also note how close the clone light greys are to one
another. Nice...

With the second image it would be important to note that all of the
colors were obtained from one scan off a stack of bricks. The first
image results from combining sections from the scan of the TLC stack of
bricks with sections from a second image scanned from a stack of clone
bricks. I hope this makes sense. The main thing is that the scans are
absolutely unaltered except to optimize them for the web, I made sure
that I didn't alter the colors even so. I only took segments of large
scans because I wanted to eliminate the seams where the bricks join, I
wanted just the colors alone!

Hope this makes sense. Feel free to post the info on lugnet.

I expect that LEGO will soon dazzle AFOLs with its line of ProBuilder
sets and its TMNT license deal.   Time will tell...

Dave!