 General / 41368
Re: Which weighs more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:08:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Eric Harshbarger writes:

Nope,

My scale shows:

1x16 regular brick: 6 grams
1x16 Technic beam:  5 grams

Amazing!(1) And quite counterintuitive, if you ask me. Volume and surface
are not always tightly correlated but the Technic beam has lots more surface
area.

You can actually use nothing but LEGO bricks to answer the original question.

Since the question was "Which weighs more?" I went on the assumption that he
didn't care "how much does each beam weigh?" but rather which one is heavier
as compared to the other. (1)

So... build yourself a small balance out of LEGO bricks.  And you will find
quite quickly and quite definitively that the non-Technic brick weighs more
than the Technic beam.  The difference may be small (as noted above) but
it's certainly enough to tip the balance to the non-Technic brick every time.

1 - I'm assuming you actually weighed 50 of each and did the math or
whatever. I have a great scale for weighing parcels, very accurate in its
range but very noisy down below 10g or so, so I always do the weigh multiple
thing.

For my little experiment I used only one piece of each.  However, as
mentioned it certainly seems to agree with the numbers found on the
electronic scale.  Not to mention the fact that I don't have 50 16-stud long
beams in my entire collection.  :)

An interesting question no matter how you look at it.

Regards,
Allan B.

(1) Using semantics not to be nit-picky but just to have some fun with this
little exercise.  :)