 General / 40946
Re: What are your favorite Lego WHEELS of all time?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:09:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Stéphane Simard writes:
Hello all,

The "favorite Lego part" topic was cool, but you couldn't really debate on
usefulness since there was anything from bricks to motors to pins to tools
to hairpieces.

Wheels on the other hand can be compared :)

Mine is this 20 x 30 rubber filled oldie.
Tire:
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/4267
Wheel:
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/4266

Many large and medium sized Technic vehicles of the late 80's/early 90's
used it, and it's quite easy to fit in models of all sizes, which can't be
said about its 24 x 43 big brother.

Not surprising that it's included in my favorite pneumatic sets (8868 and 8862).

My favorite LEGO wheels were the ones that had the little metal pin in the
back of the wheel that had to be set in a special 2X4 brick.  The special
brick had holes on all four sides.  I'm going back to the early 70's to my
first LEGO sets.  I used to make the Mach 5 from Speed Racer and act out the
one show where he pulls the tires off the rims and drives out onto two
cables above the Niagra Falls.  I would string up two lengths of string
across the room and pull the little rubber tires off the wheels and let my
LEGO Mach 5 ride on the strings that were spaced between the flanges of the
wheels.  If you remember that particular episode, one of the cables broke
and Speed Racer rode across on the one cable on two wheels.  (That would be
very dificult in real life.)  I know there must be other AFOLs out there who
had LEGO and watched Speed Racer.

Patrick