 General / 40653
Re: MISBI Lego Price Guide available NOW!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:03:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Scott writes:
If we take December 2002 as an example, there were approx 34,000 listings in
the Lego category.  Searching through the headings for keywords such as
"MISB", "MIB", "UNOPENED" etc is straightforward and produces reliable
results, whilst removing the need to examine the listing details to
ascertain the nature of the item.  We can safely assume that sets described
in the manner above are of a consistent and measurable standard ie "new".
Of the 34,000 lots last month, 26,000 were not readily identifiable as "new"
so would therefore require the full description to be checked to find out if
pieces are damaged/missing, if instructions/box are included etc.  Once this
has been done, you would have to "grade" the CONDITION to at least a few
levels such as good, fair & poor.  Then element COMPLETENESS would have to
be graded to at least complete/incomplete.  Then there's
box/instructions/stickers...you get the idea.  There is no simple definition
of "used" and therefore no means to arrive at a worthwhile valuation.  I
have seen suggested grading systems which would work, but only if all
sellers used the system in their listings - realistically, it's never going
to happen.

Well-- I don't think I'd expect an exact price-per-condition guide. IE if I
have a complete 6980 with decent pieces and a ratty 6080 that's missing some
stuff, I could still guestimate given ranges. So if I see that 30 Non-MISB
6980's have sold on Ebay for $30-$110, I can wager a guess as to where mine
would be. However, if I know that 4 MISB 6890's sold for $90-$260, it
doesn't really tell me what mine's worth. I'd need some sort of multiplier
that indicates how much difference in price there is between MISB and simply
'complete'.

Really all I'd hope for is that the data that's in the monthly MISBI report
is programattically stored, and could be accessed in the future. While it
would be *GREAT* if it *could* categorize everything (unrealistic goal at
this point), it doesn't need that categorization to be useful.

I guess that you'll be checking the MISBI Monthly Report on a regular basis
then, 'cos everything's bound to end up in there eventually :)

I noticed the "premium content" bit in the Legal notice-- what's slated for
premium content? It'd be great if it were simply the monthly reports in some
more parsable format and/or searchable database.  Though.... Hmm... You may
want a "re-distribution" clause in there as well if that's the case.  I
could easily see someone deciding to programattically extract monthly
reports, slap them in a database, then put it out on the web for everyone to
see without reimbursing you.

DaveE