 General / 40583
Re: Now does this qualify as good Lego marketing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:27:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson writes:
In lugnet.general, Brendan Coughlin writes:
Hi everyone!

I should have put the pics in their own folder but forgot...sorry for the
inconvenience.  But that's right, it's a Zippo lighter!  Certainly no one
would just put the Lego logo on without Lego approving right?  I mean Lego
has to say "yes, put our logo on a lighter" right?

The way to know whether it is an official Zippo product (and not a clone) is
to check the bottom.  There should be an engraved Zippo logo there.  (Your
pics don't show the bottom.)  ...Where did you find these?  I would imagine
that Zippo might produce promotional items with any company logo if, for
example, the company (in this case TLC) requested it.  Certainly this isn't
a product to market to children, but maybe some TLC employees (adults, some
of whom likely smoke) would appreciate a corporate gift of such nature (this
could be similar to getting a watch with a corporate logo after serving for
X number of years for the company.)  Just a thought...

-H.

Lighters have uses beyond smoking and Zippo's are used by many of the outdoors
types for other non-tobacco related incinderary issues.

Lester