 General / 40203
40202  |  40204
Subject:
Animals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 15:45:19 GMT

Hi all,

I know this subject has been under the spotlight before, but with the recent
introduction of the Adventurer-OE series I feel there is a need to discuss
the LEGO policy regarding animals.

No, I don't think they're being mistreated! :-)

What I'm just a bit confused is why there are no cows.

Yes, I wrote COWS! Those big animals one sees in farms all over the
inhabited world? The ones where we get most of the milk? That's right.

Why?

I mean, we have had a wide variety of animals since the mid eighties:
ranging from the ubiquitous horse to the not so common polar bear, passing
by the parrot or scorpion... now we even have a huge *elephant*! And yet,
cows and other farm animals are nowhere to be seen in sets; more obvious
still is the lack of DOGS... (whomever said they were man's best friend sure
did not work for LEGO!)

I know I can make hens and even cows using my own immagination, to have them
being fed to my minifigs (well, figuratively speakin'...). And I probably
could design some sort of dog too - in fact, I think all of these animals
have been done before using regular bricks.

But I want a one-part COW, by LEGO. A white-and-black spotted milky COW. So
that I can finally make the industry I wish: a milk processing facility.
What, you think I'm kiddin'? :-)

And while we're at it...

Also other animals which would be cool to have portrayed in LEGO:
- sheep (where do minifig sweaters come from?);
- pigs;
- ducks;
- turkeys (for LEGO thanksgiving?)
- Any other farm animal you can remember - sorry, I'm a city boy :-/

Wouldn't it be cool to have a LEGO Farm theme? It seems to me that LEGO is
going through a "designers' block", and can't come up with anything 100%
cool and recognizeable for the regular buyer. So why not go back to the
obvious, the kind of stuff that populates Denmark (for what I know, Billund
is in the middle of the countryside anyway) and the vast majority of the
western world's surface?

Just a thought,

Pedro