 General / 40011
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:20:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Leonard Hoffman writes:
<snip>

honestly, I've been just about driven to give up on Lugnet altogether due to
the lack of feedback. the number of MOCs I've posted that actually got ANY
feedback is probably less than 12, and of those, not more than 3 or 4 has
gotten more than a single "hey that's cool", and those were the ones that
were built from something somebody else designed. in fact, I can think of
only 2 of my creations that got any sort of constructive feedback at all
(the Highwind and Metal Gear Rex.) I even ask, when I post an MOC, for
people to tell me what's wrong with it. I can't improve if nobody tells me
what works and what doesn't.

  THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!  I believe this is a sentiment widely
shared among the "lowers" in the Lugnet world.  I've often thought about
leaving, too.  Or maybe stop posting pictures, to just enjoy them at home.  But
when I'm at work, I'm on the internet.. and Lugnet and FBTB.net are the only
interesting things on the internet.  And my wife doesn't really care for LEGO's
(let's say she 'allows' them), so it is hard to get any kind of recognition
from her.

   My theory? People only post when 'moved' to.  And that means they have to
be wowed.  Since Lugnet is growing and growing, the bar is continually being
raised meerly by the number of people present. What was great yesterday day is
becoming average today.  And excellence is continuing to be an exclusive realm
- and it isn't just building skill.  I've noticed great, skilled MOCs go
unnoticed and mediocre ones be praised.  Why?  Photography skills, photography
supplies (studio area, good lighting, etc), web design, and notoriety.  Being a
great builder is more than just building cool MOCs.

what a great view point...

I think those are very true!!

I'd like to add my view point to compliment yours.

Personally, I really don't care for a lot of "attaboys" from others on Lugnet.
Some would say positive reinforcement from your peers is where it matters.
I'd rather just get a whole lot more from the non-LEGO person.

To the 98% (well the 99.7% who don't have an obsession) of the population,
those who don't buy, collect, or build LEGO, they definitely do get WOWWED.
Its those things that get yourself or your group in the local newspaper,
win prizes at train shows, and the like.

With them, you don't have to worry about if your model is "mediocre" or
not.  Just mentioning the parts in your collection and the amount spent on it
makes their eyes bulge sometimes.

Now I know, I went a bit off-tangent and maybe even stayed a bit off-topic.
But I'm sure you'll find the relevance of it all.  If you are really out
to get a whole ton of feedback, then Lugnet, and even I dare say Brickshelf
aren't the best methods of showing MOC's.  For those, you might want to start
a train club or a regular Lego User Group to do some shows.  If public
shows aren't your thing, then probably a good website with a decent guestbook
to allow feedback.

Anyways, just my point of view,

Thanks,

Ben