 General / 39566
Re: Color problems with label on 4107 tub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:54:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Medinets writes:
In lugnet.general, Kevin Wilson writes:
Allan Bedford wrote in message ...
I hope that someone at LEGO is listening.  There's nothing wrong with the
tub inside (the brick selection is a great value

Actually, I disagree. Out of the 1000 pieces in this tub, more than 300 are
1x1 bricks. That's waaaay out of proportion! Although I am happy to have my
1x1 supply replenished after last year's complete lack of them, you can have
too much of a good thing and parents/kids buying that tub to build with are,
IMO, not getting a good deal. Here's the Peeron inventory:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/4107-1

Actually, I think I agree with Alan on this one.  There are those who
wanted bulk packs of 1x1 and 1x2 bricks from Shop @ Home.  You can get
the 1x4, 1x6, and 1x8 from there.  This is a good way to stock up with
the smaller sized bricks without buying a million sets to get the
basic bricks.

  But the problem is that the 4107 has been touted and hailed as a great
general source of bulk bricks, which it certainly is not.  If LEGO wants to
offer 1x1's and 1x2's in a retail bulk bucket, let them do so. They
shouldn't pretend that they've released a general source of useful bricks;
the arrival of the 4107 on the shelves in the absence of a true general bulk
tub is an implicit admission that 4107 is slotted to take the place of its
predecessor tubs.
  Kevin is particularly right re: piece:price ratio, and I would underscore
it by speculating that LEGO has deliberately skewed the inventory in favor
of small, cheap parts solely to fluff up the price and maintain the bottom line.
  Interestingly, LEGO is once again cloning the clone, since MegaBloks
released a 1500-piece bucket some years ago with a large proportion of
1x1's, 1x2's, and 1x1 round plates.  Not only is LEGO imitating its
competitors; it's taking five years to get its duplicate product on the shelves!
  If I had received the 4107 tub as a child, I would have played with it for
ten minutes and never looked back.  This is no way to build or maintain a
customer base.

     Dave!