 Dear LEGO / 4130
4129  |  4131
Subject:
Color problems with label on 4107 tub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 00:29:54 GMT

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Last night I purchased two 4107 assorted Creator tubs.  The label on the
side of the tub shows a breakdown of what quantity of each part you're
getting and in what color.

Now, if you're standing in line at the Toys 'R Us (or wherever you are) like
I was, you might find yourself looking at the part breakdown on the side of
the tubs.  And even though I had previously reviewed the piece count and
color distribution on Peeron, I let myself be fooled into thinking that the
colors on the side of the tub were what was really in the tub.  Silly me.  :(

So even though I knew there weren't any Sand Red bricks in the tub, I talked
myself into thinking that there were.  Perhaps, I thought, the Peeron
inventory was wrong somehow.  But when I got home I found out that of course
the inventory was correct.  It was the colors on the side of the tub that
were really out of whack.  I don't know if everyone else will agree, but
here are the colors as they appear to _me_ on the side of the tub.

Starting on the far left, going clockwise:

Dark Brown (as found in the Desert Skiff)
Bright Red
Dark Orange / Brick Red (as found in center of Yoda's cloak???)
White
Sand Red (as found mostly only in Bulk Bricks???)
Bright Green
Bright Yellow
Tan (as found in Yoda's cloak)
Brick Blue
Light Brown?  (the smallest color representation, toward the far left)

Now... I am not the best judge of color.  I certainly couldn't work at
Crayola.  But when I opened the tub, the contents really didn't seem to
match the label.  The color mixture was significantly different.  So I asked
my wife (who is a color genius, as evidenced in her quilting) to have a look
at the label vs. the bricks.  She completely agreed with me that the two
simply do not match.

If you want to get an idea what I mean... take a real Sand Red brick and
hold it up next to the tub next to the brick farthest to the right, in the
middle of the picture.  Be sure you have good light, I did.  The two match
nearly perfectly.  The only trouble is that the bricks on the label
represent the Light Grey bricks that are in the tub, not Sand Red. (Of which
there are none in the tub, of course)  You'll also find that the Dark Orange
/ Brick Red is really supposed to be Dark Grey.  And similarly, that the
Dark Brown is really Black.

So is this the end of the world?  No, of course not.  But I wonder about all
those curious parents (or better yet curious kids) out there who aren't
aware of something like Peeron, who try to match the contents of one of
these tubs with the label.  Maybe I'm the only person in the world who's
ever noticed, but I would find that hard to believe.

While I realize that some colors (like Black or perhaps Dark Brown) might be
difficult to render properly on such packaging, some of the other
differences are not as easy to dismiss.  After all... isn't Grey actually
easier to print than any color at all?  If so, why does Light Grey on these
tubs look so terribly much like Sand Red?  And why does the Dark Grey on the
label look so much like a Brick Red of some sort.

So while this probably isn't false advertising it is at the very least
sloppy packaging or printing.  The odd thing is that the cardboard topper
that includes pictures of bricks and the Idea Book inside both show the
bricks in their real and true colors.  If that's possible, then why not a
more accurate label on the side?

I hope that someone at LEGO is listening.  There's nothing wrong with the
tub inside (the brick selection is a great value and the Idea Book is well
done, with lots of good building suggestions.)  But in all fairness, the
outside of a package should match the inside as closely as possible.  If
it's not possible to print more realistic colors, then you should at least
print a disclaimer on the tub indicating that, "Actual bricks may not match
colors exactly."

Or, find a better printer to do your labels for you.  I personally would
start there.

Thanks for such a great tub though.  I do hope you realize how much some of
us value just being able to buy a selection like that for such a good price.

Best regards,
Allan B.