 General / 39567
Re: LEGO Momentum 'Builds' as Holidays Approach
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:15:54 GMT

That's soo hilarious.  I think its sad how "blinded" the Lego Company as
a whole (minus Lego Direct) is directing its business plan.

From what I've seen from the new sets, I would rather keep collecting the
older stuff.  There are some exceptions:

a) Starwars sets, especially the storytellers sets, the mini playsets
b) The return of Adventures sets (in the orient)
c) The Harry Potter sets are pretty good, but the overall appeal has dropped
   since last year, despite having some neat sets like Privet Drive.

The new Sports Line-up is worse than Lego Soccer II.
The Racers line needs to be put to sleep along with Bionicle, not saying that
it lacks appeal...I think as far as children go, Bionicle has been successful.
There needs to be ways to attract this new market without becoming stale.

I have to agree with some of the other posters on this thread.  The only thing
that really keeps me interested is: Legends, new Trains, and MOC's.
I think there studio line isn't too bad, but it isn't perfect, and neither
is there Island Extreme sets.

Their direction with all these corporate alliances is the current paradigm
in doing business.  However, Lego has (or had) been a world leader in
contruction bricks.  To be successful in the near future, it needs to
return to its core lines but come up with new ideas within the core lines.

All the name changes and stuff just prove that at the moment it is incapable
of being really truly innovative.

Anyways, its funny to see people discredit this report, but it is still really
sad to see such a brand go downhill....and I really don't think I'm being
too subjectively pessimistic when I write this.

Ben