 General / 39296
Re: 2nd set of NBA minifigs, plus real life comparisons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:52:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.general, Brendan Powell Smith writes:
In lugnet.general, James Trobaugh writes:

Here is a shot of the real product (too bad no shorts)
http://www.lego.com/info/images/NBA2.jpg

Cool, thanks for pointing that out, James.

Is it just me, or do the left hands on these minifigs seem different in
shape?  I wonder if they changed them to make it easier for them to hold the
LEGO basketball or something.  Weird to have minifigs with one hand bigger
than the other, though.

Also strage that in the photo behind him, Kukoc is wearing a different color
uniform than the LEGO version of him.

While I like the brown minifigs, my one disappointment is the caucasian
players are that icky color (can't think of a name for it) versus plain
yellow.  In Star Wars, they created minifig likenesses of caucasian
characters/actors in yellow, why not here?  The color really is kinda gross...

-Tim

It was said before in another thread, but I believe it is a good point to make
so I'll say it.  If LEGO had introduced 'Minifigs of color' along side yellow
minifigs, instead of the new caucasian lego color, then LEGO would be
proclaiming that the yellow minifigs that were previously produced would be
considered caucasian.

And if all yellow minifigs were considered caucasian, then LEGO could be
accused of discriminating against non caucasian people, and that would be bad.

Which then means if LEGO wanted to ever produce a Star Wars Lando, they might
have to re-release all of the Star Wars characters in their proper skin tones
in specialty sets like the NBA ones.

Yes, I know that the characters portrayed in LEGO from Star Wars are caucasian,
but like I said, they might have to re-release them in a new color for Lando to
exist.

--Anthony

P.S.  It looks to me like both hands of the minifigs are deformed slightly so
that when the arms are outreached they would hold on to a LEGO basketball.