 General / 38815
Re: most popular newsgroups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 09:41:08 GMT

"Bruce Hietbrink" <bnh@chem.ucla.edu> wrote in message
news:H3HBMK.EuE@lugnet.com...
Hi all,

I was just looking at the total volume of posts per group and was • surprised
at something:

<snip>

A bit surprising is the relatively high volume of Technic (10000), but • that
is maybe my own prejudice as I don't build in that line at all.  I • certainly
see the appeal of Technic to the more engineering-minded builders.

I'm almost only into the Technic news-groups. But that probably of my
engeneering education. And I've alwasy been intrested in Lego Technic since
I'v first got in contact with those set back in mid 70' :)

Okay, this brings me to my big surprise - robotics at 35000. (!)  I'd
thought of this as a relatively small niche of Lego builders.  Twice as • much
volume as Trains? or Space? or Castle?  Are there really twice as many
people using Mindstorms than making spaceships (or castles, or whatever)?
Or do robotics people post twice as much?  Any thoughts?

I'm not suprised at all that the robotic groups are that big, because robots
and computers go fine togheter and they who have a Mindstorm RCX unit
probably have a computer and then verry often has internet as well...
But if you count the numbers of people that are building with the other
types of set (and not only the activity on the newsgroups) you probably will
se other numbers. Anybody that knows the sales-figures for each theme; Town,
Castle, Space, Technic and the rest ?

Just hit me: maybe the technic people stumbles over more question on how to
build and construct a specific technical invention than the other ones have
on how to build a castle or building?   ;)

Lek Vel

Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix