 General / 38804
38803  |  38805
Subject:
most popular newsgroups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 22:54:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,

I was just looking at the total volume of posts per group and was surprised
at something:

As expected, themes like castle, space, star wars, and trains are among the
highest volume with 16000, 18000, 14000, and 19000 posts.  These really seem
to be among the core of minifig-scale sets, each with their own particular
following, but also with appeal to other builders.

I'm a little surprised that town is smaller, at 5000, given that "Town" was
one of the three branches of minifig-scale sets from the start (with Space
and Castle).

Themes like adventurers, and HP and bellville etc have much smaller volumes,
which makes sense for themes that have a smaller number of sets and also
some themes that are discontinued, like wild west (no new sets = very little
life breathed into these forums).

A bit surprising is the relatively high volume of Technic (10000), but that
is maybe my own prejudice as I don't build in that line at all.  I certainly
see the appeal of Technic to the more engineering-minded builders.

Okay, this brings me to my big surprise - robotics at 35000. (!)  I'd
thought of this as a relatively small niche of Lego builders.  Twice as much
volume as Trains? or Space? or Castle?  Are there really twice as many
people using Mindstorms than making spaceships (or castles, or whatever)?
Or do robotics people post twice as much?  Any thoughts?

Bruce