 General / 38172
  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

(...) you (...) open (...) from (...) I just wanted to point out that these boxes *CAN* be opened without using the perforations. In parting out sets, i've opened a lot of boxes, and quite a few of them can be opened without doing any a noticeable (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

(...) Hmm. Good point Troy; I guess it simply hadn't crossed my mind that someone would do that, but you're right; re-gluing it would be possible. And you're right: it did seem a little coincidental that all the 'must-have' pieces were what was (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

(...) Well, the larger sets used to be sealed with a small sticker such that it was almost impossible to open the box without either tearing or pulling the sticker off (and damaging the box). Set which had sat on the shelf a long time could have the (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

(...) manner, (...) to (...) In theory, yes, but in practice? My feeling is that persons of low morals would simply rip open the box, shove the contents into their pockets/undergarments, and then discard the box somewhere in the store (out of sight) (...) (22 years ago, 28-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

(...) As I said in the case of my soccer bus, the box was noticeably light. I doubt the store would have taken it back without quesion. And since the box was light, I looked at it VERY carefully for signs of tampering. There was none (and I design & (...) (22 years ago, 29-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

(...) What I figured what Troy meant was that people were buying the set, taking it home and deconstructing the box there and then re-gluing it (something that had never occurred to me before... and apparently not to you either, or many of us here). (...) (22 years ago, 29-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

(...) Well, I've never had a missing piece problem, but I have seen boxes that appeared to be tampered with in the stores. However, this was much more noticeable. In certain stores I saw Bionicle Krana and Mask packs that had been shrink wrapped; (...) (22 years ago, 29-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

... (...) This is *exactly* the type of box we're discussing. When I purchased my Vampire's Crypt, I was sure it was unopened as it didn't look tampered with (no crushed or torn edges), and the 2 perforated semicirlces were intact. Then Troy pointed (...) (22 years ago, 30-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

(...) or (...) Ah, very true. Clearly I am not cut out for a life of crime, as I lack the imagination :-) Kerry (22 years ago, 2-Sep-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

(...) Two sets come to mind: 8525/8530 8559/8569 Go to a Wal-Mart and see if you can find one that ISN'T ripped open (ok so you probably will find one, but you get what I'm saying). (...) Though maybe not in this case, eh? ;^) Still a shame no (...) (22 years ago, 2-Sep-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: A good LEGO anecdote, and a bad one (A warning about buying Monster Studios sets)

(...) Just because that sort of theft hadn't occurred to either of us doesn't mean we lack imagination (hey, we build moc's right?!). It means the theives lack morals. Mark W. (22 years ago, 10-Sep-02, to lugnet.general)