 General / 38055
Re: New Polling Mechanism Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:46:49 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Suzanne D. Rich writes:

Well, since his trip to BrickFest, Todd has been in a coding-frenzy!

Busy setting up polls too, by the looks of it.  ;)

LUGNET's latest development, now having passed its testing*, is available
for all
members to use:

http://members.lugnet.com/polls/create/

I think you'll find this tool both fun and useful! (Curators take note) ;-)

Please let us know if you have any questions or comments.

Well, I thought I'd try it out, so I created a short poll last night.
However, it was when I looked at the poll again this morning that I realized
I'd forgotten one option.  To be more complete, I should have offered a
selection such as:

"All of the above *plus* non-brick products.  i.e. the LEGO(R) company
should pursue any and all retail products which may help them to be
profitable and build their brand name."

The rest of the options were pretty much self-explanatory, though I might
also have liked to edit my question that titles the poll.  I really meant to
ask something like, "What's more important to you... well-designed sets,
bulk bricks or just access to lots of assorted bricks?"  I was trying to get
at the answer to what's more important to people; the bricks? or the models
that LEGO(R) produces?

So my question/comment about the polling mechanism is this:

Is it possible to add an edit feature to the polls?

I hesitate to suggest this for a couple reasons:

1) Maintenance coding can be sometimes more trouble than it's worth
2) A suggestion is always well and good except that it means more work for
someone else.  :)
3) Adding such a feature might require resetting the poll, thus losing any
gathered data.  This might displease both the pollster and the respondents.

So it's a suggestion, but maybe still not the best idea.  However, for a
situation like the one noted above (where the mistake or omission is noticed
right away) it might be nice to be able to go back and add or update entries
on the poll before too many people have a chance to respond.

Just my two cents.  Thanks for the great new feature though; it's great to
see LUGNET expanding in such positive directions.

All the best,
Allan B.