 General / 38033
Re: shop.lego.com Broken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:26:16 GMT

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message
news:H0rpsE.LM2@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Paul Sinasohn writes:
Yes, but what percentage of the General Public (i.e. Parents) use Galeon • or
Opera??

I can't believe you wrote that -- you're basically defending bad code / • bad
design.

There is no reason for a simple left nav to bomb in ANY browser.  And • while
I haven't investigated why it doesn't work (not my job), everything that I
saw in the menus could be easily implemented via straight html, • javascript,
or css.  That the lego.com people do not check their work against a • variety
of popular browsers and multiple versions is just shoddy work -- if they
won't check it, they should keep it extra simple.  I mean, this isn't an
intranet site where they know the users will always be using browser X, • right?

BTW, their rollover events do not look really good in Netscape • Communicator
4.7 either -- that's only 2-3 years old max!

There must be decent web developers in need of work in New York...

-- Hop-Frog

Well speaking as a web developer (and quite a few people on Lugnet are by
the look of it) you have to ask yourself if its economically viable to spend
60% of your time on getting a site to work on less than 5% of browsers. I
don't want to rekindle the debate as its already been done to death, but as
far as any web company I have worked for as I'm sure many others are, as
long as it works in IE and at least looks acceptable in Netscape then good
enough. Its simply not worth faffing around for such a small amount of
people. (for the record 94% of people visiting my site use IE5 or 6) Think
what you said 'Popular Browser'. OK I've heard of Opera but never of
Galeon - OK I've only been programming websites for 7 years.

F-up to off-topic.debate (but I probably wont be there :) )
--
James Stacey
---------
#925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado