 General / 37694
Re: Influence of heat treatment on Lego® bricks + minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:57:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
Hi all!

Have you ever thought abou the maximum washing temperature for dirty Lego®
bricks?
At what temperature will Lego® bricks get damaged - for e.g. in summer in your
car or in your house's Lego® room under the roof?

I did the ultimate test today. See the (partly surprising) results here in
this gallery (use the >> buttons to navigate from picture to picture).

http://www.1000steine.de/myimages/album10

So far the text is only added in German, but I think it is primitive enough to
be automatically translated via altavisa or something like that. Most picture
will speak for themselves anyway.

Kind Regards,

Ben

P.s.: Don't call me cruel, because a Minifig had to die: I hope thousands of
them will take profit in future. Results in 3 sentences: 40°C are absolutely
ok for a minifig. 60°C are still ok (at least for a while?) Even 75°C are no
big deal. But be careful: 80°C will destroy most of your elements for sure!

(Lego material ABS at 75°C smells like the inside of a new box. ABS at more
than 110°C stinks! ABS at 150 °C begins to smoke.....
Well, as far as I know, Obi-Wan (if you watched Star Wars, you will know the
reference), a few years ago, LEGO suggested in its catalogs that if you plan
on washing your elements to never go above 104 degrees Farenheit (or however
you spell that word).  I do not know how much that is in Celsius but a 104
degree reading in the farenheit scale seems kind of toasty to me.  Of
course, I personally can not confirm this but maybe you can ask that
question to the Great Redini because floating head people generally know
more than us normal people.
Jesse Alan Long