 General / 37322
Re: They took away my LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:17:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Trobaugh writes:
Nope, they fully restrict almost all ports that would allow me to connect
via NNTP, I can't even FTP, or connect to my MAIL server directly (i have to
use sites like WEB2MAIL.com to get my personal email)

There is also a rule in the guidelines that restricts me from accessing my
own ISP using their equipment (that includes the phone lines).

I understand where they are coming from, being a company as large as ours
they probally have all kind of people using the system for things it
shouldn't be used for, thus eating up a lot of bandwith. But you'd think
being a telcom company we'd have bandwith to spare, guess not.

Too bad about NNTP.  Did you try all of the alternate ports like 8000 and 8080
and whatever the rest of them are?

It is probably not a bandwidth issue but more of a lost-time issue.  Labor is
pretty expensive (offices, equipment, supplies, creature comforts like
restrooms and lunch rooms, benefits, insurance, supervision, etc) and perhaps
it is one way to try and control costs.  You wouldn't want someone working for
you to spend their paid time doing non-work related tasks on your nickel, would
you?

I just heard a semi-crazy report that some employers claim email is now taking
up more time than its worth--staffers report such things as managing email
causing them to work more hours.  Specifically, one person claimed that email
is causing him to work an hour more each day than was necessary just last year.
I don't put much stock in this story but I suppose in some work environments
this may be true.  Or it could just be that employees waste too much time with
email and are not efficient workers to begin with.

but anyway....