 General / 37314
Re: They took away my LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:35:24 GMT

Well you could always get someone to print out messages and fax them over!
;)

"James J. Trobaugh" <james@ngltc.org> wrote in message
Nope, they fully restrict almost all ports that would allow me to connect
via NNTP, I can't even FTP, or connect to my MAIL server directly (i have • to
use sites like WEB2MAIL.com to get my personal email)

There is also a rule in the guidelines that restricts me from accessing my
own ISP using their equipment (that includes the phone lines).

I understand where they are coming from, being a company as large as ours
they probally have all kind of people using the system for things it
shouldn't be used for, thus eating up a lot of bandwith. But you'd think
being a telcom company we'd have bandwith to spare, guess not.

jt

In lugnet.general, Rob Hendrix writes:
NNTP?

-Rob

"James J. Trobaugh" <james@ngltc.org> wrote in message
I got to work this morning and was ready to catch up on last night's • LUGNET
post while I had my morning Dr. Pepper and what do I find out?! My • company's
proxy server is now blocking "web chatting" sites, basicly all news • servers
(plus internet auction sites)! They've always blocked game sites, adult
sites and a few others, but this blocking of news server sites is • awful.
What will I do all day not knowing what is going on in the LEGO world?!

I did send an email in protest and made up some pretty lame reasons why • I
need to access news.lugnet.com, so we'll see if they buy it.

A co-worker has ofter to set me up an account on an off site server • that
he
runs where I connect to it via the web and can browse out to where ever • I
want, so I'll have to see how that works. Of course they'll probally • figure
that one out some day and block access to it also.

Well for now I'll have to get my LUGNET fix before I go to work.

jt