 General / 37027
Re: Should there be a set size for Brickshelf pics?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:03:29 GMT

"David VinZant" <legotrains@yahoo.com> writes:
I want to bring this up because I find that some of pictures on Brickshelf
tend to be very large. Now I am sure I am guilty of this as well. Because on
my PC I have my resolution at 1024x768. But sometimes I run into pictures
that are a greater resolution then that. But when I post about my newest
MOC's I tend to never hear any complaints about the pictures being too big.

So my main qustion is, what resolution do most people view the site at,
1024x768, 800x600, or smaller? And do you think people should stick to a
certain resolution or do you care that much about hitting the scroll bar?

Here is a link to my Brickshelf gallery.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=legotrains

Personally I think that 640x480 should be the default image size.  I
usually view Brickshelf when I'm on an 800x600 screen, and you gotta
have room for the other parts of the page.  (Which reminds me,
something that's bugged me for years is the fact taht the "Next"
button is more than 800 pixels from the left edge.  In fact, there's a
<TABLE WIDTH=840> tag in play which means no matter how small the
image, I have to scroll to the right.

Also, remember one of the problems with Brickshelf is Kevin has to pay
for bandwidth.  I don't think it's at all unreasonable to expect him
to take measures to reduce image sizes.  It's easy to do - the
ImageMagick toolset for Linux/Unix can easily resize just about any
image.

Perhaps if you click on the image you see whatever size the original
upload was, but in the "previous/next" pages, I think 640x480 should
be the max.

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!