 General / 36694
Re: Completed Models, Sun, & High Temps, and it's effects
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 16:16:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ahui Herrera wrote:

I'm in the process of packing up my lego collection for cross-country
moving.  San Diego to Chicago or DC. • [snip]
Well now the move will be different since a) it will be summer time and if
DC is the location we go thru the southern states (HEAT and SUN).  If
Chicago is the location we still go thru HEAT and SUN.  I've been told and
have seen 'damaged' lego MOCs because they were left overnight in the car
and the morning sun did bad things to them.  AKA they lost their 'stickyness'.
I'll be moving my legos in two forms 1) completed MOC in rubbermade
containers 2) loose pieces in rubbermade containers.

Your main enemy is extremely high temperatures caused by direct
sunlight.  Think "sitting on the dashboard" heat.  In a hot car, lego on
the dashboard might be damaged by the sun/heat, but lego on the floor of
the car will be fine.  And lego on the seat of the car will most likely
be fine, too -- not as much direct sun.

I seem to remember that LEGO's temperature limit is about 120°F.  Which
means that if you can stand the heat in a particular space, your lego is
probably alright, too -- as long as you keep it out of the hottest
spots.

If you are packing your own stuff, try to keep the lego away from the
outside walls of the van/truck.  Put it in the center of the truck, with
one layer of stuff around/over it.

Good luck with the move!

Steve