 General / 36688
Re: Completed Models, Sun, & High Temps, and it's effects
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 02:36:47 GMT

-Open the windows a bit when parked
-Put jugs of water in the containers with the lego. This will probably
work especially well if you put the lego in a cooler. Water is slower
than air to heat up, so it should keep the lego cooler. Open the
containers at night to let the water cool down.
-Put something over the containers, like a white sheet, or a foil
blanket if you can find one. You can sometimes get them at camping stores.

Trevyn.

Ahui Herrera wrote:

Not sure where to post this so lugnet.general it will be.
Cross-posting to lugnet.trains because I know a lot of train guys have
shipped completed models to train shows.
Cross-Posting to lugnet.lego in the chances that THEY (lego) might answer
Cross-Posting to lugnet.storage since it seems to fit in there as well.

I'm in the process of packing up my lego collection for cross-country
moving.  San Diego to Chicago or DC.  I moved from Newport, RI to San Diego
in Dec.  During that move I put some of my collection in Rubbermade
containers and packed them into the car.  Some of the containers had
completed models other just pieces.  The drive was wonderful and the weather
was nice (70s) no rain, snow, etc... during the drive.

Well now the move will be different since a) it will be summer time and if
DC is the location we go thru the southern states (HEAT and SUN).  If
Chicago is the location we still go thru HEAT and SUN.  I've been told and
have seen 'damaged' lego MOCs because they were left overnight in the car
and the morning sun did bad things to them.  AKA they lost their 'stickyness'.
I'll be moving my legos in two forms 1) completed MOC in rubbermade
containers 2) loose pieces in rubbermade containers.

Here are my questions:
1) Should I worry about my completed MOCs and or loose pieces getting
damaged on the trip due to the weather since it's a 4-5 day trip in the sun
and heat.
2) What have others done to move their collections?  Fedex, UPS, USPS, Amtrak?
3) What is the safe temp zones before I need to worry?
4) Any ideas?  Thinking of putting dry ice in the rubbermaid conatiner with
the MOCs to keep them cool?

Thanks all...

ps.
The move is in aout 45 days...