 General / 36689
Re: Completed Models, Sun, & High Temps, and it's effects
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 03:48:53 GMT

Well now the move will be different since a) it will be summer time and if
DC is the location we go thru the southern states (HEAT and SUN).  If
Chicago is the location we still go thru HEAT and SUN.  I've been told and
have seen 'damaged' lego MOCs because they were left overnight in the car
and the morning sun did bad things to them.  AKA they lost their • 'stickyness'.
I'll be moving my legos in two forms 1) completed MOC in rubbermade
containers 2) loose pieces in rubbermade containers.

I think you might be worrying a bit too much.

I live in the sub-tropics [Brisbane, Australia]. My Lego lives in plastic
storage drawers stacked on my verandah. I have a cloth (dark colour) that I
throw over the drawers to prevent U/V damage to the plastic drawers (being
inside the drawers, I don't believe the U/V can penetrate to the bricks
themselves). The current model I am building sits on the table on the verandah
beside the storage area, uncovered.

The verandah is open on three sides (north, east, west) [note this is the
Southern Hemisphere] so these are the three sides we get sun from. There is a
roof so there is no sun middle of the day, but there is morning and afternoon
sun every day.

This summer has been one of the hottest on record. Over Christmas, the
thermometer on our verandah recorded temperatures of over 40C (that's 104F) in
the shade for a number of days.

I did my Christmas shopping in that same heat. I bought Lego (for myself and
others) on my way to work. That Lego sat in my car parked in the sun all day
at work. No idea what temperature it was in the car, but it felt like an oven
when I unlocked it to drive home.

Despite all of this heat and sun, I have not noticed any ill-effects on Lego
from this last summer. Indeed (apart from keeping the direct midday sun off
the bricks), it never even occurred to me to worry.

Other things that suggest Lego is not too heat-sensitive:

* all the people (myself included) who put bricks in the washing machine or
dishwasher to clean them

* models at Legoland that sit outside for years (OK, they are significantly
weathered after years of exposure, but a few days in a car is a tiny exposure
by comparison)

While I think it is important to protect your bricks from direct sunlight,
especially in the middle of the day, just putting them in a container or
throwing a cloth over should be sufficient, based on my own experience.

Does anyone have any *first-hand* experience of Lego damage from heat from
"everyday life" (as distinct from boiling them up on the stove, as I know one
LUGnetter did)?

Of course, the other thing to do is contact Lego and ask them how they
transport their stock across the country? In airconditioned trucks? Or in
ordinary trucks? I presume they have the world's greatest experience in the
safe transportation of Lego.

Kerry