 General / 36690
36689  |  36691
Subject:
So close but yet so far ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 03:55:52 GMT

Over the last seven days I have been oh-so-close to five significant LEGO
destinations and only managed to make it to one of them!

#1 and #2:  Last Thursday I was in Atlanta for a meeting and had hoped to
get to to the second LEGO Outlet in Atlanta at Discover Mills.  Of course my
meeting ran late and attempting to go from Smyrna to Discover Mills and back
to the Airport in time to catch my flight would have been a stretch,
particularly with two signficiant unknowns:  Atlanta traffic and Atlanta
Hartsfield Airport Security.  As much as I wanted to, I couldn't risk
missing my flight.  Unfortunately the Dawsonville store was completely out
of the question as it is a really,really long way from the airport.  I
almost missed my flight home the last time I went to Dawsonville.

#3:  This past Monday I had a meeting in Portland (the company I work for is
based in Portland).  After my meeting I had a chance to have dinner with
some of the PNLTC guys (thanks for taking time to meet up with me guys - it
was fun to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones).

#4:  On Tuesday I had a meeting in San Jose after which I had to travel to
Washington DC for a meeting on Wednesday morning (ooh, I love the red-eye).
The best route from San Jose to DC for a loyal American Airlines flyer like
me was through LAX.  Now I realize it is still a drive from LAX to LEGOLand,
however, this was as close to LEGOLand as I have been since I was there 18
months ago.  Had my San Jose meeting been earlier, I might have tried to
make a go for it (my flight from LAX to DC left at 11:00 PM) but then I
recalled that LEGOLand isn't open on Tuesday and Wednesday anymore so it was
a moot point anyway.

#5:  On Wednesday morning I had a meeting in our Rockville, Maryland office.
Depending on the time of day, it can be 45 minutes from our office to the
Outlet at Potomac Mills or it could be four hours (okay, maybe that is an
exageration but during rush hour it would take a really long time).  My
meeting was supposed to end at noon and my flight was at 3:40.  Can I make
it to the Outlet and back to Regan National for my flight in three hours?
Maybe, if everything went my way.  Of course, my meeting ran until about
1:30 at which there was no point in trying to go so I went to the airport
and went home (Cary, North Carolina).

One of these days I will make it back to Southern California with enough
time to actually make it to LEGOLand again.  One of these days ...

Mike

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot