 General / 35989
Re: Access a LEGO set DB with your phone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:43:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.general, Dan Boger writes:

wow - neat!  are you entering all the data by hand?  perhaps you could
use the LUGNET Guide data, so you could enter all the data?

I used LUGNET Guide data as a base.  Is that kosher?

AFAIK, there is no problem with that.

I'd love to weave a comprehensive VXML front end to the Guide, Peeron,
BrinkLink, etc. but I think that project might be beyond me and would require
substantial assistance from the owners of those resources.  I guess that makes
you the best first person to talk to about it.

heh, need to figure out how the information could be presented in a useful way.

Can you supply Guide data nicely formatted, or better, can the LUGNET guide
respond to queries of a different form so that the desired data only is
returned in speakable format?

it's already available:

  http://guide.lugnet.com/set/list/bynumber.txt

maybe have it say if peeron has an inventory for this set, so you
know to buy (and inventory it) if it doesn't? :)

It would be easy to have it automatically note that Peeron is missing that
set's inventory and explain how they would be helping the community by
uploading it.  Heck, it could even spew out the people who are looking for that
set.

Gee, now that I'm thinking about it, there could be a DB of people and sets and
what price they'd be willing to pay and how many they'd take.  Then, while
shopping, when you find 8880s on sale for $20 you can listen to the thousands
of people who will pay you more.  Hmm....

now that could be interesting...  especially if it also mentioned the
localtion of said people, so you could factor in the shipping costs...

:)

Dan

XFTU lugnet.admin.nntp - I think that's a good place for this stuff :)