 General / 35985
Re: Access a LEGO set DB with your phone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:53:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dan Boger writes:

wow - neat!  are you entering all the data by hand?  perhaps you could
use the LUGNET Guide data, so you could enter all the data?

I used LUGNET Guide data as a base.  Is that kosher?

I'd love to weave a comprehensive VXML front end to the Guide, Peeron,
BrinkLink, etc. but I think that project might be beyond me and would require
substantial assistance from the owners of those resources.  I guess that makes
you the best first person to talk to about it.

Also, would
it be possible to add the rest of the info, like piece count, fig count,
etc?

I considered the various data and picked the single most useful application
that would be simple to put together.  Which data do you think would be useful
via phone?  It seems that in most circumstances the html will be superior for
delivering the data and the number of minifigs (for instance) won't be critical
over the phone.

Can you supply Guide data nicely formatted, or better, can the LUGNET guide
respond to queries of a different form so that the desired data only is
returned in speakable format?

maybe have it say if peeron has an inventory for this set, so you
know to buy (and inventory it) if it doesn't? :)

It would be easy to have it automatically note that Peeron is missing that
set's inventory and explain how they would be helping the community by
uploading it.  Heck, it could even spew out the people who are looking for that
set.

Gee, now that I'm thinking about it, there could be a DB of people and sets and
what price they'd be willing to pay and how many they'd take.  Then, while
shopping, when you find 8880s on sale for $20 you can listen to the thousands
of people who will pay you more.  Hmm....

Chris