 General / 3438
Re: 1960's Architectural Parks Packs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:54:28 GMT

Joshua Delahunty wrote:

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Gary Istok wrote:
They are sets #750, 751 and
752.  Just by looking at the pictures of the boxes, you can tell that
these are not geared for childred to play with.

What interests me is the picture to the right of the one you pointed
out, Gary, the garage with the opening door. I don't remember having
that exact set (I don't remember having _any_ sets which built a
specific model) but I do have that garage baseplate with the opening
garage door which fits on it. Still works, too - it's just a bit low for
current minifig scale.

Anyone know where else that garage baseplate and door occurred?

Check out
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?theme=Classic

235 is the door mechanism by itself, the next three items
(236, 324, 325) all used it.  The rest of the list is Matchbox-style
cars that fit it.  :)

                                        -- joshua

Yes, I had one of those sets as a kid as well.  Today it is rather worn.
However, over the years I got 2 others (in working order).  This garage
mechanism also came with the Town Plan set #725 (click on View 2 of the 2
catalogs listed first from Joe Lauher/Bill Katz website/catalog).  The Esso
Service Gas Station garage is of this type, and is part of this set.  They can
be seen in the corner of the 725 set box top.  Both the 1961-62 and 63-64
versions of the Town Plan had this garage mechanism.

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/samsonite.html

This Esso Service Station, which was never sold as a separate building in
USA/Canada (Samsonite), was available in Europe (TLG) from 1958 to about 1965
as a separate set #310:

Joshua pointed out set #325, which superceded the Esso Service station.  This
Shell Service station set (which came out in 1966, and I wish I had), had a
lot of firsts.  This was the first time that a double door mechanism was
used.  In this instance, the baseplates were grey (it used to be white in
earlier sets), the doors were a (unique) yellow with clear panels (before that
they were mostly red, although a white one may have been available in an early
set).  And this set could possibly be the first time (I won't guarantee this)
that LEGO produced doors and windows in a color besides red or white.  This
set comes with 1 classic yellow door, and one classic yellow large picture
window.  God, I love this set.

Gary Istok