 General / 33732
Re: a most slendid 4x4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:11:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Lane writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Portillo writes:

4 powered power puller tyre's, been their, done that :-)

http://www.geocities.com/steveroblane

I really like your 4x4, especially the exposed suspension. Your a fellow
live axle fan I see, definately the way to go. Although I wouldn't want to
take a corner in your vehicle. In order for accecptable turning performance
I have a diff on each axle, a centre diff, and the last axle steers! I'd be
interested to know if you could get any kind of speed out of your vehicle,
what was it like to turn, and how readily did it climb?

The secret to a strong gearbox is to get all the gears completely in mesh
with each other, not so the gears only just touch ( as seen in the gear
boxes of the 8880 and the 8448 ).

I'll have to look into that.

I no longer have the model assembled and I
don't have any pictures of the gearbox ( sorry ). I will try to rebuild the
gearbox and post some pictures.

Funny, I have my gearbox intact and a fully working copy.

BTW I am going to use this gearbox in another model of a monster truck
coming in around 8 months ( my building time is filled up until then ). It
will have some improvements like limited slip diffs and 4 wheel steering (
and maybe power steering if I can fit it in )

I'd like to see that when it's finished

Steve

The steering was not impresive. It had a tunring circle of 1.62 meters. The
worm gears in the axles meant that I could use fewer gears in gearing it
down. This decreased the amount of play in the complete transmission and so
starts climbing as soon as it hits an obsticle. In first and second gear it
would climb slopes as steep as 68 degrees, at which point it's front wheels
lifted and it would roll end over end down the slope. Those wheels are just
so grippy. In third gear it would climb a 63 degree slope at its maximum. On
a 64 degree slope, it would make it 1 time out of 3.

Now lets see. 63 degrees is 0.7 of a full right angle and it weighs 4.5
kilograms. 4.5 multiplied by 0.7 is 3.213 kilograms of tractive effort. This
is the power it has to go forward ( I think ). At this point the motors just
stop with a twitch or two every now and then.

In fifth gear it can travel 1.18 meters per second.

Im thinking of trying to build a vehicle with a half decent tractive effort
following your rules. My target is 14 kg although I have calculated that I
can reach well over 18 kg ( Without it being so slow you can't see it moving ).

I hope this helps

Allan