 General / 33736
Re: a most splendid 4x4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:56:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Allan Portillo writes:

BTW I am going to use this gearbox in another model of a monster truck
coming in around 8 months ( my building time is filled up until then ). It
will have some improvements like limited slip diffs and 4 wheel steering (
and maybe power steering if I can fit it in )

I'd be interested in an l.s.d if it could be packaged small enough.

Did you use worm gears on the axles as part of a telescopic drive shaft system?

Now lets see. 63 degrees is 0.7 of a full right angle and it weighs 4.5
kilograms. 4.5 multiplied by 0.7 is 3.213 kilograms of tractive effort. This
is the power it has to go forward ( I think ). At this point the motors just
stop with a twitch or two every now and then.

In fifth gear it can travel 1.18 meters per second.

Im thinking of trying to build a vehicle with a half decent tractive effort
following your rules. My target is 14 kg although I have calculated that I
can reach well over 18 kg ( Without it being so slow you can't see it moving ).

But can you do it without the transmisson exploding? :-)

Actually your figures sound right. I'd estimate my truck has pulled 12kg on
a trailer but these are very rough figure's (I'm asuming a house brick
weighs 3 kg). I've managed to stall the vehicle using my comparison test
method so the final total is more, but that utilize's a load pulled vertically.

Steve