 General / 30491
Re: LEGO in space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 20:09:55 GMT

Lego pieces that contain closed air spaces, like pneumatic tanks, would
not be very happy in a vacuum. But most Lego pieces do not contain air
and would likely be fine. Since Lego pieces are usually not airtight
when assembled, the outgassing from the inner walls of the ABS would
leak out before it could build up enough pressure to blow the brick
apart. I can imagine that an assembled minifig pop apart from internal
air pressure (and on the old-style solid stud minifig heads would likely
shoot off like a champagne cork), and one would assume that a
preassembled model would also fly apart. But more worrisome would be the
UV radiation, which would yellow those blue, white and light grey pieces
in record time. Further, it wouldn't do to stay in the space shuttle's
shadow while playing with Legos in deep space, since the temperature
drop would cause the ABS to become brittle and break when putting pieces
together. I'd keep a brick separator around, since getting the bricks
apart would be tricky through the spacesuit's gloves.

Cary

"Daniel Staudt" <dstaudt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
would lego peices survive vacum pressures?

Paul Davidson wrote:

There is a reason they don't:  "outgassing".

All manufactured items slowly release small amounts of gaseous • chemicals in
this process.  Living on Earth like we do, the often-toxic molecules • are
quickly swept away by wind and air circulation.  But in a closed tin • can for
weeks or years on end, these gases can build up enough to be harmful • to the
space crew's health.  All objects intended for space use must • therefore pass
rigorous tests and be built of special plastics and metal alloys.
Unfortunately, Lego pieces outgas just like most other plastic things.

There was actually a good post about this in lugnet.space, I believe.

--

Paul Davidson

Kevin Loch <kloch@opnsys.com> wrote in message • news:GDDuL8.JGA@lugnet.com...
There is an article on CNN.com about the first ISS crew building
a table out of scrap parts.

Why don't they send a bunch of LEGO to the ISS?  It would have great
theraputic and social benefits.  They could also use it to kludge • things
if necessary.

I know a bunch of NASA folks read this board.  Who'se going to be • the
brave one?

KL

--
Daniel Staudt <dstaudt@hotmail.com>