 General / 30310
Re: LEGO in space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 19:28:52 GMT

Just imagine trying to sort a large Lego collection in zero-gravity!
Nothing would stay in the little bins.

--

Paul Davidson

Tom Stangl <toms@netscape.com> wrote in message
Not to mention "putting an eye out" with floating Lego ;-)

Paul Davidson wrote:

There is a reason they don't:  "outgassing".

All manufactured items slowly release small amounts of gaseous chemicals • in
this process.  Living on Earth like we do, the often-toxic molecules are
quickly swept away by wind and air circulation.  But in a closed tin can • for
weeks or years on end, these gases can build up enough to be harmful to • the
space crew's health.  All objects intended for space use must therefore • pass
rigorous tests and be built of special plastics and metal alloys.
Unfortunately, Lego pieces outgas just like most other plastic things.

There was actually a good post about this in lugnet.space, I believe.

--

Paul Davidson

Kevin Loch <kloch@opnsys.com> wrote in message • news:GDDuL8.JGA@lugnet.com...
There is an article on CNN.com about the first ISS crew building
a table out of scrap parts.

Why don't they send a bunch of LEGO to the ISS?  It would have great
theraputic and social benefits.  They could also use it to kludge • things
if necessary.

I know a bunch of NASA folks read this board.  Who'se going to be the
brave one?

KL