 General / 30290
Re: LEGO in space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 18:25:17 GMT

There is a reason they don't:  "outgassing".

All manufactured items slowly release small amounts of gaseous chemicals in
this process.  Living on Earth like we do, the often-toxic molecules are
quickly swept away by wind and air circulation.  But in a closed tin can for
weeks or years on end, these gases can build up enough to be harmful to the
space crew's health.  All objects intended for space use must therefore pass
rigorous tests and be built of special plastics and metal alloys.
Unfortunately, Lego pieces outgas just like most other plastic things.

There was actually a good post about this in lugnet.space, I believe.

--

Paul Davidson

Kevin Loch <kloch@opnsys.com> wrote in message news:GDDuL8.JGA@lugnet.com...
There is an article on CNN.com about the first ISS crew building
a table out of scrap parts.

Why don't they send a bunch of LEGO to the ISS?  It would have great
theraputic and social benefits.  They could also use it to kludge things
if necessary.

I know a bunch of NASA folks read this board.  Who'se going to be the
brave one?

KL