 General / 30291
Re: LEGO in space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 18:32:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul Davidson writes:

All manufactured items slowly release small amounts of gaseous chemicals in
this process.  Living on Earth like we do, the often-toxic molecules are
quickly swept away by wind and air circulation.  But in a closed tin can for
weeks or years on end, these gases can build up enough to be harmful to the
space crew's health.  All objects intended for space use must therefore pass
rigorous tests and be built of special plastics and metal alloys.
Unfortunately, Lego pieces outgas just like most other plastic things.

  That's pretty neat!  Maybe they could keep them in a toybox outside the
station...

     Dave!