 General / 29908
Re: Lugnet nominated for a webby award!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 02:50:36 GMT

Bryan Beckwith wrote:

First of all, I want to say that as a member of the LUGNET community, I feel
honored that the site has been nominated.  It is nice to see something so
many people put their time into, receiving the recognition it deserves.

Yes, the entire community should be proud. The recognition is yours.
(I'm still hoping to get a proper 'congratulations to all' on the homepage.)

While some of you are offended at LUGNET being listed in the Kids category,
it doesn't bother me.  Toys will always be associated with kids and TLC is a
toy company.  There is nothing wrong with being a kid, by age or at heart.

Now then, I have been thinking about something for some time, and this
thread seems to be as good a place as any to get my ideas out of my head.
Why isn't LUGNET thought of as a place for kids?  I realize that LUGNET
mostly serves as a gathering place for AFOLs, but there is no reason why it
shouldn't attract kids.  As I thought about this, I was wondering if it
would be possible to setup something like kids.lugnet.com, an area of LUGNET
especially for a younger audience.  Possible content could include building
ideas, original instructions geared at helping younger people build things.
The content could me more graphical.

I wouldn't want to think of it as a juniorized version of LUGNET.  Rather, I
would like it to be an interesting site parents could let their kids look at
without worrying about them stumbling across something inappropriate.  Of
course, there is no reason why more mature kids shouldn't be participating
in LUGNET.

Anyway, I know some of you will think this isn't a good idea, and maybe it
isn't.  It certainly feels good to get it out of my head though :-)

Bryan Beckwith

I think it's a fine idea. It's one Todd and I have discussed before.
There are many issues involved, pros and cons. I can't really get into a
discussion right now, but be sure that I am interested in welcoming
visitors of all ages. I'd love to bring a mentorship philosophy into
LUGNET.

-Suz