 General / 27207
  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

There is a popular website of news and such at: (URL) when something is mentioned on it's front page, the web traffic that is directed to the higlighted site is so voluminous that the website mentioned can't handle the load and 'goes down'. eric (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Lego desk owner identity revealed

I haven't seen anyone else post about this... Slashdot provided a link from (URL) shows one Darrell Cavens, CTO of Blue Nile, sitting at his Lego desk. So apparently this is who contracted Eric Harshbarger to create the desk. Eric's original desk (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) And implies he built it himself. Sheesh. (...) Well, more accurately, this is the person for whom the desk was contracted to be built. The way I understood it, it was a condition of his acceptance of their employment offer that they get him a (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) I dunno if this is a recent addition, but when I checked out the article, it also had a "and check out the LUGNET member who built his desk" with a link to Eric Harshbarger's site... J (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) Sorry, I couldn't help myself... -Rob. (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) Ah-HA!! :-) (...) Or.. maybe this guy's in the next cube over. After seeing the one Eric built, he ran home to build his own!.. ;-) -Suz (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) On the Sun site that I kept the link to, or Slashdot, the link I cut away? eric (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) Aha. It was on the Sun site, but it was a reader comment. I was using Lynx, so I missed that the first time. J (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) Ah. I didn't see a space for reader comments on the Sun site. I was wondering if you were somehow responsible for their content for a second there. :D eric (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) Oh, I was mostly kidding. It just seemed like a very rock-star thing to do. "Oh, you want to hire me, eh? Well, I'd need a salary of $X00,000, a bag of peanut M&Ms with all the red ones removed waiting for me every morning, and, uh, a desk (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

Yep, that's the desk. That's the guy. That's the company. Rather coincidental that it got revealed via a webpage on Sun Microsystems considering they used to be my employer... To clarify a few things: 1) The company contracted me, not the (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) Feh! There could be hundreds of desks like that floating around! And we've still never proven that this "Eric Harshbarger" person actually exists. Dave! (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) Well... As you know I went to a NYCnanofest last week. ((URL) was an Erik present at the fest who vehemently denied that he had anything to do with desk building and that he didn't even like Parker Posey, but I think he was just pos(ey)ing. So (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

well... seeing as how I don't really exist... I must warn you that I am able to 'not exist' in more than one place at a time... so tracking me down will be that much harder... (though the Parker Posey clues are certainly a good start...) cheers, (...) (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) What this "Eric Harshbarger" person fails to mention in his clarifications is that (if what I read is true) he has a math degree! A master's! So, if he DOES indeed exist, then at least according to Larry, he is a Geek. Maggie C. (23 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

(...) Excuse my ignorance, but what does "slashdotted" mean? Embarassed, Bryan (23 years ago, 1-Feb-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Lego desk owner identity revealed

slashdotted (adj): Describes a particular denial of service due to massive number of attempted connections after being featured on SlashDot "News for nerds, stuff that matters" (www.slashdot.org) HTH ROSCO (...) (23 years ago, 1-Feb-01, to lugnet.general)